Thursday, May 31, 2012

OMG an update? oh and some oatmeal squares too!

Oh my goodness has it been a long time since I posted something.  Life has been super busy lately, My husband and I finally moved into our own place.  We have called it our lil' gnome home, it's tiny, perfect size for just the two of us.  There is one downside however, we have a VERY small kitchen, maybe when I get it a little more clean I'll post pictures of it too.

But anyway, I have a recipe to share with you today.  It's a peanut butter oatmeal bar, I found a recipe on another site (gingerbreadbagels) but it called for bananas and at the moment I have no bananas, and I just had to try to make them!  So I fiddled with the recipe a little and came up with this yummy concoction.   It is a wonderful breakfast treat that goes really well with a dab of jam (my favorite is strawberry or orange marmalade)

1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter (I recommend Skippy's honey peanut butter)

Mix together the quick cooking oats, light brown sugar, baking powder, salt, ground cloves, and ground cinnamon.

Add in the vanilla extract, milk and egg. Mix the ingredients together.

Then add in the applesauce and peanut butter. Combine all of the ingredients.
Pour the mixture into a lightly greased 8 by 8 inch metal baking pan. Bake at 350 F degrees for 25 minutes.  (Cooking time varies depending on your oven.) 

another addition that would be good in this is walnuts or pecans I would say put about 1/4 - 1/2 cup depending on how nutty you like your squares.

And I apologize fore the poor picture quality... it was taken from a phone... our camera is dead at the moment.





No comments:

Post a Comment